Baltimore Car Accident Attorneys Ensure You are Fairly Compensated
We Help You Get Back On Your Feet After An Automobile Accident
The United States has the largest vehicle population in the world, with some 240 million cars. Not surprisingly, auto accidents are a common occurrence. While some accidents are minor, many others cause serious harm to drivers and passengers. Mallon & McCool, LLC has extensive experience dealing with car accident cases and fighting to ensure clients sufficiently recover. If you have been injured in a crash, let our attorneys handle your claim so that you can focus on your recovery.
What Causes Most Car Accidents?
Each year, more than 100,000 vehicle crashes happen in Maryland, injuring more than 50,000 people. An average of 580 Maryland residents are killed annually as a result of such crashes. Car accidents stem from a variety of reasons, but the majority are due to driver error. Common reasons for auto accidents include:
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving occurs when drivers divert their attention from the road to focus on another activity. In 2010, 18 percent of injury crashes nationwide involved distracted drivers. Nine percent of fatal crashes that year were associated with inattentive drivers.
- Reckless driving – Drivers who ignore traffic signals, speed or dismiss road signs are considered reckless drivers. Their behavior frequently causes pedestrian injuries, car accidents and property damage.
- Drunk drivers – Impaired drivers are a significant cause of traffic accidents. In 2010, more than 10,000 people in the United States were killed because of alcohol-related crashes. Drunk driving accounts for nearly one-third of all traffic deaths.
- Cell phone use/texting – Talking and texting on cell phones has become a leading cause of auto crashes. In 2010, an estimated 24,000 people nationwide were injured in car accidents that involved cell phone use. Maryland and D.C. have legally banned calling and texting while driving. A 2013 Maryland law imposes fines of up to $175 for drivers caught on cell phones.
When negligent drivers hit the cars of competent drivers, they can cause needless injury and suffering. If you are following the rules of the road and are injured by a reckless or distracted driver, you are entitled to compensation. At Mallon & McCool, LLC we are well-versed in dealing with delinquent drivers and aggressively deal with insurance companies. Let our Baltimore auto accident attorneys help you recover your entitled recovery.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident?
Being involved in a vehicle accident can be overwhelming. It’s easy to panic and let your anxiety cloud your judgment. No matter how minor an accident appears, always stop and access the scene. The proper steps to take after an accident include:
- Gather facts – Write down the details of the crash such as the names and addresses of witnesses, license plates and distance measurements. Don’t trust your memory. A precise recording of the facts could prove invaluable later.
- Present proper identification – Drivers involved in accidents are required by law to show their driver’s license, registration number and insurance information to all other drivers involved in the accident. Make sure you receive the same information.
- Visit your doctor – Injuries may not always appear serious immediately following a crash. Consult a physician if you feel even the slightest effect of an injury.
- Inform insurance company – Call your insurer immediately to report the details of the accident. Failing to promptly notify your insurance company could void your policy or leave you without coverage.
- Consult an attorney – Lawyers advise you of your rights and explain the process of filing a potential claim. They can also obtain statements from witnesses while their memories of the crash are fresh.
The steps you take after an accident can have a significant impact on how the incident is ultimately handled by a court and an insurance company. Mallon & McCool, LLC explains the proactive behaviors that you should take following a crash and ensures that your insurance company is taking the proper actions. Turn to us for helpful legal advice and the right handling of your injury accident.
Our Accident Attorneys Offer Strong Legal Representation To Accident Victims Throughout The Baltimore Metropolitan Area, Baltimore County, Prince George’s County, Washington D.C., Howard County, Harford County, Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, And All Surrounding Areas
If you were involved in a car accident and anticipate filing a legal claim, time is of the essence to consult an experienced lawyer. Our talented team of attorneys at Mallon & McCool, LLC immediately begin working with clients and gathering the necessary information to represent your case. Call us today for a free consultation at (800) 918-8872 or contact us online. You can contact us anytime, day or night. We want to help.