Experienced Maryland Auto Accident Attorneys Determine Fault in Intersection Collisions
Helping drivers who have been injured on the road
Intersections are common sites of accidents between vehicles. Drivers are approaching at different angles and have right of way at intermittent times. Even a small mistake can lead to a collision. The Maryland auto accident attorneys at Mallon & McCool, LLC, can help you find out who is responsible and what you are owed following such an accident.
Who is responsible in an accident at an intersection?
Accidents at intersections are almost always about right-of-way. If all drivers respect right-of-way, then they will pass each other harmlessly. But when any vehicle tries to take priority out of turn, everyone is put at risk. Accidents most commonly occur when drivers:
- Assume a light will turn or stay green
- Take a turn when it is unsafe to do so
- Ignore pedestrian crosswalk signals
- Fail to stop at blinking red or yellow lights
- Speed up or fail to slow down at an intersection
What should you do if you are involved in an intersection collision?
An accident at an intersection often feels hurried and chaotic. Unlike an accident on a straightaway, the collision scene may be blocking traffic in two, three, four or more directions, particularly in head-on collisions. However, it may be important to keep the scene as is, for reasons including:
- Maintaining the integrity of the scene. Unlike a lane departure collision, there are many different variables involved in an intersection collision, and moving your vehicles can make it more difficult to determine what happened when and where.
- Protecting injured drivers or passengers. If a passenger or driver has sustained an injury, it can be important not to move them until medical professionals arrive.
- Avoiding more accidents. The scene of an accident is an obstruction in an intersection, but as long as it remains stationary, drivers should be able to detour around it. Moving your car creates a risk of hitting another driver who is trying to maneuver around the scene.
Our Baltimore law firm is ready to take automobile accident case
If you or a loved one has been injured in a vehicle collision, the attorneys at Mallon & McCool, LLC, will help you find the answers and help you secure compensation for your suffering. Reach us toll free at (800) 918-8872 or contact us online. We serve various counties throughout Maryland including Baltimore, Baltimore County, Howard County, Carroll County, Anne Arundel, Prince George’s County and Harford County. Call us today – our firm does not receive any fees unless we recover compensation for you.